Saturday, May 14, 2011

Are you a runner or a jogger?

This morning I met a co-worker for a training run. We are both training for the Long Beach Marathon and seem to be around the same pace. Today's run was scheduled to be 9 miles and at an 11.40 pace. We started out quite a bit faster than that, more like a 10 minute pace. At the time, it seemed like it would be difficult to run slower than that. Silly me! Considering I have only done the walk/jog last week and 4 miles this week, 11.40 was soon where I would end up. We got to that around mile 4 and stayed there for the remainder of our run. I blame this on me as I am sure Doug could have stayed at the 10 minute pace. I learned that the Back Bay loop is about 5 miles from my house. That, plus the loop, then back home will be perfect for my 20 mile runs (which is coming up faster than I actually want them to). Another thing I learned today is the difference between a runner and a jogger. Along our run, I mentioned I wasn't sure if you could consider our pace a run or a jog. Doug said that he once read, if you actually care about the difference between the two, you are a runner. I guess I'm a runner!

No comments:

Post a Comment